Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Everyone with automobile insurance in Massachusetts is required to have Uninsured Motorist Coverage. This means that If you are injured by an automobile that is uninsured you will be able to recover for your injuries through your own auto policy. The minimum uninsured motorist coverage required in Massachusetts is $20,000.00. However, when you select your automobile policy you will have the option to buy more coverage. If you do not know how much coverage you have, just ask your insurance agent for a copy of your declarations page and look at Part 3 on that page.

There are different types of scenarios that would allow you to use this coverage. The most common is when the person that caused the accident and your injuries has no insurance coverage. The second most common scenario is a hit-and-run accident. If you or the police are unable to find the person responsible for the hit-and-run, you can still recover through your own uninsured motorist coverage or the coverage through the vehicle you were occupying. Furthermore, even when you are not operating or occupying a motor vehicle you can recover damages if you are injured as a pedestrian or bicyclist. For example, if you are crossing the street and you are struck by an automobile that does stop then you can go through your auto policy or a household members auto policy to recover damages for your injuries.

If you are unsure or have any questions regarding whether or not you can be compensated for a particular type of injury, please feel free to contact me. I will help you determine whether or not there is coverage in your situation.


Make an appointment

Get a free first consultation

Call us


the law office of russell d luiz personal injury attorney new bedford ma
the law office of russell d luiz personal injury attorney new bedford ma

Our address

66 N 2nd St.
New Bedford, MA 02740

Call Us


Office Hours

Mon-Fri 9-5